Thursday, May 29, 2014

Chopped Challenge

So I told you guys how I'm frugal, and why I don't like to go to the grocery stores early in the week. That means that there are many Mondays and Tuesdays (and even weekends) where I have to play my own version of Chopped Challenge... I look at what random crap I have in my fridge and cupboards, and see what I can come up with.

This week, I found some shredded yellow squash that needed to get eaten, parmesan cheese, onions, garlic, eggs, a baby water melon, and cabbage. So.... I made my husband's favorite cabbage salad, and a zucchini fritatta. 

I sauteed the shredded zucchini in some olive oil with garlic and diced onions until browned. I then added my 6 beaten eggs with salt and pepper and let it cook on one side. I have a fancy shmancy fritatta pan that I got as part of a Calphalon set of pots and pans I won a few years ago in a contest. This was honestly the first time I've ever used it, and it worked like a charm!! Basically the handles interlock, and you flip the pan over to invert it so the eggs slide out of one pan and onto the other to cook on the other side. That way you don't have to flip the fritatta itself and risk breaking it.




























After cooked through, we cut it up and sprinkled it with parmesan. For being made out of randomness in my fridge, it was quite delicious!

Mike's favorite cabbage salad is just shredded cabbage, red wine vinegar, olive oil, a crazy amount of garlic, and salt. That's it. I don't measure, so do not judge me for the following 3 sentences. For 1/2 head of cabbage (which makes a ton of salad, to be fair... he eats a ton of salad though), I probably use 4-5 smashed garlic cloves, and 5-6 counts of red wine vinegar (in the spouted bottles), similar amount of EVOO, and some hefty pinches of salt. This is how I measure guys... I promise that for future posts I'll actually measure things for you and will include real recipes. Well, I can't promise that I'll measure everything, but I'll definitely include more real recipes. The cabbage salad is a tough one to quantify, because it's totally trial and error. Start with a little of each dressing ingredient, toss it, taste it, decide what it needs more of, repeat until yummy. It's an extremely filling side dish for very little calories. No pic this time, sorry.




We also had a baby watermelon hanging around, so we cut that up and had it for dessert. It was an all around healthy, delicious, and very frugal meal.

What are some of your quick go-to meals when you're running low on groceries?

No comments:

Post a Comment